OWSA Racing Guidelines to Race an OWSA Boat
Beer Can Races and Sailing on Sunday Series
Any BOAST skipper can take out an OWSA boat to any of the Beer can races or Sailing on Sunday Series, the Skipper must follow all Eligibility and Instructions as stated in the official Notice of Race found on the SailPDX website.
** Although it is not generally required to join OCSA for the Beer Can Races, it is in the Corinthian Spirit to support OCSA as they are the organizers/promoters of ALL racing in our area and make it possible. They also are the providers of the awesome website sailpdx. Please consider becoming an OCSA member for racing the Beer Cans as well.
ORGANIZED RACING (SYSCO, OTHER CLUBS)
- The Skipper must be a Boast participant and approved for racing. To get approved for racing contact the Race Captain.
- Attend OWSA race clinic.
- Attend SYSCO race clinic. (1 night about 3 hrs)
- Attend OWSA Basic Racing Knowledge - Team Meeting (**This will be a 1 to 2 hour get together with the OWSA Race Captain , and is primarily only for members of a team that has been formed to race an OWSA boat. E-mail the Race Captain at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a date and time. If space allows, other interested OWSA members may attend at the discretion of the Race Captain.)
- Be a member of OCSA.
- Be responsible to register and pay for each race/series you want to race in. (See SailPDX website)
- Comply with all OCSA General Sailing Instructions and The Racing Rules of Sailing written by the International Sailing Federation.
- Be responsible for all crew, to include the following:
- Recruit Crew By asking BOAST Team members first, then OWSA general membership.
- If a skipper or any of the crew is not yet confident as the helmsman, a Non- BOAST OWSA member may be invited to join the crew as a helmsman/mentor. If an OWSA Member is not available as a mentor, then a NON OWSA member will be allowed.
- Ensure all crew understand all aspects of boat safety and emergency response.
- Ensure all crew members are aware of and trained for their responsibilities while sailing (jib trimmer, main trimmer, time keeper) and when docking.
- Enforce all OWSA Racing Rules
**Keeping the crew in the same position for an entire series is highly recommended.
OWSA Racing Rules to follow during the race:
- All crew to be focused on the race, looking out for barges, other boats and hazards, then communicating that information to the skipper.
- cell phone use will be limited to emergencies and with permission from the skipper.
- All persons on the boat are required to wear a PFD.
- Treat Crew members and other racers with respect.
- Always make safety the #1 priority!
** Any Non- BOAST Member invited to join the crew as a helmsman/mentor, must also be approved for racing.
**Experienced skippers/racers may bypass requirements 2-4 above with approval from the OWSA Race Captain.
**If a conflict arises with attending any of the requirements 2-4, contact the Race Captain.
**Since the OWSA and Sysco race clinics are held in the spring, requirements 2 and 3 will be waived for those skippers forming teams after the clinics take place (Or additional crew is needed.)
- Commit to crew for an entire series
- Attend OWSA race clinic
- Attend Sysco race clinic
- Attend OWSA Basic Knowledge - Team Meeting with OWSA Race Captain
**Experienced crew may bypass requirements 2-4 above with approval from the OWSA Race Captain.
**If a conflict arises with attending requirements 2-4 above, contact the Race Captain.
**Since the OWSA and Sysco race clinics are held in the spring, requirements 2 and 3 will be waived for crew of those teams formed after the clinics take place.
PLEASE CONTACT THE OWSA RACE CAPTAIN AT email@example.com WITH ANY QUESTIONS. SEE YOU AT THE STARTING LINE!!