OWSA First Mate Certification
The First Mate Certification Program was created to identify OWSA members of intermediate, advanced and expert sailing skills (per OWSA Skills description) who are interested in supporting our skippers on Wednesday Night Sails (WNS) during the spring and summer sailing season. As a First Mate, you will actively assist the skipper in teaching other members to sail, as well as helping to maintain a safe and nurturing environment on the water. Additionally, you will act as OWSA's ambassador to create a positive interaction with our members and various boat skippers. Our goal is the help members gain the confidence to continue sailing and to sign up for classes, join the BOAST program, winning our ISC Scholarship and/or considering volunteer with OWSA for events or serve on the board.
Our First Mate Certification is an opportunity to get on more boats, more often and hone your own skills sailing and support teaching sailing skills in a group setting. The training for this certification focuses on 3 areas:
- Pre and Post Assessment of Boat and Sailing Terms with Gap Training to get you certified faster. Check out FM assessment, only 80% proficiency is needed to join FM program First Mate Assessment Checklist
- On the water skills check of boarding, sailing and docking to get you to be ready to be of help on WNS events and to help others
- Training on skipper and OWSA goals, interactions and support processes to help ensure safe and nurturing outing
Contact First Mate Certification Program at firstname.lastname@example.org for details on becoming an OWSA First Mate or to ask any questions, where here to help you become a First Mate. Once you are on the FM training list watch for emails from First Mate Chair on how to volunteer for the upcoming sailing opportunities.
First Mate Certification requirements:
1. Be an intermediate or higher-level sailor per OWSA sailing skills levels OWSA Sailing Skills - Level descriptions.pdf
2. Sign up for pre and post assessments and on the water skills check. The dates/location for this 2021 season are still to be set.
3. Confirm placement on WNS list as First Mate on complement of the program, usually 3 months. To be coordinated with WNS volunteer chair.
**Our First Mate program is seeking intermediate-to-advanced-to-expert-sailor participants. Questions about the program should go to email@example.com
Please join us for team building, fun and extra days sailing prior to WNS!